Atheros wi-fi card drivers (?)

From: Mateusz Berezecki
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 10:51:16 EST

Hi list members,

I've been doing some reverse engineering of madwifi HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) object file recently.
I ended up with an almost complete source code for one chipset so far and I was wondering if it is legal
to publish such source code on the internet? The note on a card says it is "protected by us patents <patents number list>".
Does the patent apply to the reverse engineered source code, or just to the hardware? Or is it even legal to create such source code?
I would like to ask for some comments regarding this case. And let's say the driver works, would it be included into kernel source ?

regards
Mateusz Berezecki