Re: [2.6 patch] mm/swap_state.c: unexport swapper_space

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 06:55:03 EST

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:49:12PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > I disagree. swapper_state is far too much of an internal detail to be
> > exported. I argued that way when page_mapping was changed to use it and
> > that's why the architectures moved their helpers out of line.
> > Looks like the exported unfortunately got added anyway although we settled
> > that discussion.
>
> Well, since ARM's usage of page_mapping() is out of line

ARM is out of line, again?

> (which is where it'll now stay) I think Christoph is correct.

Oh, I misunderstood you, sorree ;)

> Maybe this is something which should be aired on linux-arch
> for the other arch maintainers?

I've heard of that, I got the impression we're discouraged from
mailing it. This is probably too minor to engage their attention.

Currently there is no arch using page_mapping in its header files,
presumably they were all forced out of line at that time. I think
it's wrong to bump people into rearranging their code to get around
a missing export, but if you're happy with the status quo, so be it.

I expect Christoph and I would agree that what's really wrong is
for page_mapping to be referring to that strange implementation
detail swapper_space at all. I'd say the export should remain so
long as the reference remains, to avoid post-release surprises
like last time; but I've had my say, que sera sera.

Hugh