Re: a problem with linux 2.6.11 and sa

From: George Georgalis
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 12:23:22 EST

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:58:14AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:37:03PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George Georgalis uttered the following:
>>> I recall a problem a while back with a pipe from
>>> /proc/kmsg that was sent by root to a program with a
>>> user uid. The fix was to run the logging program as
>>> root. Has that protected pipe method been extended
>>> since 2.6.8.1?
>>
>>The entire implementation of pipes has been radically revised between
>>2.6.10 and 2.6.11: see, e.g., <http://lwn.net/Articles/118750/> and
>><http://lwn.net/Articles/119682/>.
>>
>>Bugs have been spotted in this area in 2.6.10: this may be
>>another one.
>
>Thanks, my issue is clearly between 2.6.10 and 2.6.11; though I won't be
>able to drill down anything more specific, for a while. The links
>do look relevant but I cannot say for sure.

My last post didn't actually describe what the problem is, which is
spamassassin always scores 0/0 under 2.6.11 but functions properly
(scoring x/5) under 2.6.10.

More details are in the thread of this post.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/3/3/513

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx