PPPD fails on recent 2.6.11-bk

From: Steven Cole
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 10:41:27 EST

Last night, I did a bk pull from linux.bkbits.net/linux-2.6,
built and rebooted, and the pppd (version 2.4.2) failed to start
after the modem at the ISP end answered.

I usually keep the kernel fairly up-to-date with bk, and I'm
certain that 2.6.11-vanilla ran pppd just fine a few days earlier.

I rebooted to an older kernel (2.6.6) and pppd ran OK.
I retested with the 2.6.11-plus kernel, and it was still broken.

Due to my slow connection (56k) and slow machine, I wasn't able to
further narrow down when this failure was introduced, but I may
be able to do that tonight on my home machine. Sorry, I don't
have the time or hardware to work on this during the day.

If anyone can test a recent 2.6.11-bk-current kernel with pppd
on dialup, that would be helpful.

Steven