Re: 2.6.11-mm2 vs audio for kino and tvtime

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 20:31:18 EST

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 14:33, Jean Delvare wrote:
>Hi Gene, Andrew, all,
>[Gene Heskett]
>
>> /usr/pcHDTV3000/linux/pcHDTV-1.6/kernel-2.6.x/driver/bttv-i2c.c:36
>>2: error: unknown field `id' specified in initializer
>
>I've dropped the "id" member of struct i2c_client, as it were
> useless. Third-party driver authors now need to do the same.
>
>Patches to pcHDTV 1.6 and 2.0 attached (untested). Feel free to push
> the latter to the author of hdPCTV. Note that the removed struct
> member was really not used before, so the driver will still work
> with earlier kernels.

The 1.6 patch won't apply due to -pn problems, so I did it by hand.
It now builds and installs ok, but tvtime is still dead, taking about
5 seconds to open its initial window, and another 15 to display just
the channel and time on a permanent blue screen, with its time
display only being updated about every 3 seconds. Audio works ok.
Clicking on the exit also takes about 5 seconds for it to quit.
Running it from a shell with the -vv doesn't show any problems that
look like showstoppers:
---------
[root@coyote driver]# tvtime -vv
Running tvtime 0.9.15.
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Reading configuration from /root/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
cpuinfo: CPU AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, family 6, model 10, stepping 0.
cpuinfo: CPU measured at 2079.706MHz.
xcommon: Display :0.0, vendor The X.Org Foundation, vendor release
60801901
xfullscreen: Single-head detected, pixel aspect will be calculated.
xfullscreen: Pixel aspect ratio on the primary head is: 1/1 == 1.00.
xfullscreen: Using the XFree86-VidModeExtension to calculate
fullscreen size.
xfullscreen: Fullscreen to 0,0 with size 1600x1200.
xcommon: Have XTest, will use it to ping the screensaver.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Window manager is KWin and is EWMH compliant.
xcommon: Using EWMH state fullscreen property.
xcommon: Using EWMH state above property.
xcommon: Using EWMH state below property.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Displaying in a 768x576 window inside 768x576 space.
xvoutput: Using XVIDEO adaptor 69: ATI Radeon Video Overlay.
speedycode: Using MMXEXT optimized functions.
station: Reading stationlist from /root/.tvtime/stationlist.xml
videoinput: Using video4linux2 driver 'cx8800', card 'pcHDTV HD3000
HDTV' (bus PCI:0000:01:07.0).
videoinput: Version is 4, capabilities 5010011.
videoinput: Width 768 too high, using 640 instead as suggested by the
driver.
videoinput: Maximum input width: 640 pixels.
tvtime: Sampling input at 640 pixels per scanline.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Displaying in a 768x576 window inside 768x576 space.
xcommon: Received a map, marking window as visible (71).
xcommon: Window fully obscured, marking window as hidden (71).
xcommon: Window made visible, marking window as visible (71).
And unless the diff between 640 and 768 is the problem, there isn't
much else to go on there.

Since this involves x, its xorg-6.8.1, locally built, and so far (4
months?) absolutely dead stable.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)