Re: oom with 2.6.11

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 20:20:15 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Christian Kujau <evil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>i was going to compile 2.6.11-rc5-bk4, to sort out the "bad" kernel.
>>compiling went fine. ok, finished some email, ok, suddenly my swap was
>>used up again, and no memory left - uh oh! OOM again, with 2.6.11-rc5-bk2!
>

> Well if you ran out of swap then yes, the oom-killer will visit you.
>
> Why did you run out of swapspace?

hm, if i only knew. i don't know how long it took the other night to go
from "normal" to "OOM". but today, with 2.6.11-rc5-bk2 (well, yesterday
actually) i was working normally, and all of a sudden swap goes from 170MB
used swap (normal) to OOM. i think it took a minute or so, but i just
can't tell which application went nuts. today the first process that got
killed was "ssh-agent", the other day it was mysqld. but even after this,
it should've released some memory, right? but the oom-killer goes on and
on and kills the next task.

i'll monitor memory usage tonight and see what it gives. these "pppd"
messages are suspicious though.

thank you,
Christian.
--