Re: Linux 2.6.11.2

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 14:35:01 EST

Chris Wright wrote:
* Krzysztof Halasa (khc@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Another patch for 2.6.11.x: already in main tree, fixes kernel panic
on receive with WAN cards based on Hitachi SCA/SCA-II: N2, C101,
PCI200SYN.
Also a documentation change fixing user-panic can-t-find-required-software
failure (just the same patch as in mainline) :-)

We are not accepting documentation fixes. Could you please send just
the panic fix to stable@xxxxxxxxxx (cc lkml)? And add Signed-off-by...

I really think you should not have a hard and fast rule on doc, for the case where a fix also makes the mainline doc wrong and someone might do something destructive reading the mainline docs and using the fixed code. Drivers come to mind.

I am NOT saying this is such a case, I'm just against zero tolerance rules when I can see a reasonable case where they don't do what you want.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)