Re: current linus bk, error mounting root

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 08:16:50 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:

> Here's a big clue, if I build ata_piix in I can boot. If it is a
> module I can't. The console output definitely shows that the module is
> being loaded.

Of course I am not an expert here, but I want to rule out some trivial
userspace things first.

Some time ago Greg KH said that even when the modprobe command returns, there
is no guarantee that the module finished hardware detection. By rebuilding
ata_piix as a non-module, you changed the timeline.

Could you please, for debugging, recompile ata_piix as a module again, but add
a "sleep 5" before the mkrootdev command? If that works, a bug (race) is
officially in userspace.

Sorry if all of the above is in fact just meaningless noise.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov