Re: Fw: 2.6.11-rc5-mm1: reiser4 eating cpu time

From: Alexander Gran
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 08:57:46 EST

Am Sonntag, 13. MÃrz 2005 14:44 schrieben Sie:
> That seems very much like expected behavior to me. I would expect kwrite
> to start loading the file, and then having pdflush kick in to page out
> parts of kwrite, so that it can allocate more memory. Then kwrite will
> continue to load until more of it needs to be paged out, at which point
> pdflush will engage again, and so on, until the file is loaded.

Well not quite. kwrite uses not so much ram. And I have 1Gig:
alex@t40:/files/ipt$ cat gross > /dev/null
alex@t40:/files/ipt$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1032592 507564 525028 0 868 336072
-/+ buffers/cache: 170624 861968
Swap: 498920 0 498920
alex@t40:/files/ipt$ kwrite gross

[1]+ Stopped kwrite gross
# kwrite loaded completely
alex@t40:/files/ipt$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1032592 848900 183692 0 876 651632
-/+ buffers/cache: 196392 836200
Swap: 498920 0 498920

Acording to top:
PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ CODE DATA COMMAND
18436 alex 16 0 44476 29m 14m S 0.0 2.9 0:11.04 4 13m kwrite

> Of course, I don't know if you may have a gig or so of RAM, but I'm
> having trouble believing that a 150 MB file could be kept in cache,
> especially given that kwrite allocates at least as much anonymous memory
> to hold it internally.

Is there any whay I can be sure a file is cached? cat file > /dev/null takes
130ms, that should be ok?

> Now, I can't really speak for reiser4, but it doesn't seem too
> incredible that it would be flushing page usage or rebalancing some tree
> or something like that. As long as it is niced down (I dunno if it
> actually is, though...), that shouldn't be a problem.

Well, It's not niced down, and it was doing what so ever while reading, not
while writing?

regards
Alex

--