Re: [patch] x86: fix ESP corruption CPU bug

From: Stas Sergeev
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 14:13:35 EST

Hello.

Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
Does the bug also egsist on AMD CPU's?
Yes. As well as the ones of a Transmeta etc.
I just haven't tested the old Cyrixes, that
AFAIK were trying to ignore some Intel bugs.
The test-case for the bug is here:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0409.2/0690.html

Does the patch add anything to kernels compiled for AMD CPU's?
Same as for the Intel ones - unless you are
a dosemu or, in a lesser extent, Wine user -
nothing except for fixing the small "information
leak".
If you are the dosemu user however, then this
patch adds a lot. Whether or not it adds
something for the VMWare users I can't say, since
I am not the one of them, but my guess is that
it can help with the DOS programs under it.