AGP module removal impossible ?

From: Brice Goglin
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 18:34:14 EST

Hi Dave,

I can't remove the AGP chipset module on my boxes.
Looks like the AGP chipset driver holds a reference on itself and
thus makes removal impossible.

From what I understand, as soon as intel_agp is loaded, agp_intel_probe
is called. It gets a reference on intel_agp module through
!try_module_get(bridge->driver->owner) in agp_add_bridge.
Then this reference can only be released through module_put in
agp_remove_bridge which is called agp_intel_remove which is only called
when removing the module.

Thus it looks impossible to remove this module at all.
And I think the problem occurs with all other AGP chipset drivers.

I hope the reason is not just that module removal support is not important
in 2.6 :) It looks strange to implement a module removal routine if we
know it can't be used :)

Regards,
Brice Goglin