bad drive question

From: jnf
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 02:24:02 EST

Hi.
I used to have this old laptop that went through hell, and time after time
I revived it (it got ran over by a car, stolen, etc), finally it started
locking up on me after about 5-10 minutes of use and this occured at the
same time my other desktop was dying, and I got angry and punched it a
couple times.

Needless to say it didn't help the situation (it made me feel better
though). After that the box was completely dead (hard drive just clicks
and lilo gives a L 02 02 02 etc message on boot ).

Skip ahead about 4 years and now I have decided its time to try and
recover the data on the disk. I popped the disk into another computer here
and stuck in a live cd and hoped that i could get booted and perhaps try
to dd the disk, however on boot it gets stuck with a persistant
'hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 ( busy )'

Now, I realize this is no of you all's fault, as the OS is doing exactly
what it should be; however I was wondering if there was a way for me to
get passed this and still boot up and then try from there (although its
probably hopeless). With that said, does anyone have any ideas on how to
get past this?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

thanks,

jnf

--

There are only two choices in life. You either conform the truth to your desire,
or you conform your desire to the truth. Which choice are you making?