Re: Kernel OOOPS in 2.6.11.6

From: Ali Akcaagac
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 19:30:03 EST

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 08:12 +0800, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

> > > I think it is f = kmem_cache_alloc(filp_cachep, GFP_KERNEL); returns an
> > > invalid pointer, then in memset(f, 0, sizeof(*f)); fault happens at address f.
> > > eax == 0 is to clear the memory in memset().
> >
> > The trace indicates it's in linvfs_open
> > (EIP: 0060:[linvfs_open+89/160])
> > and the insturction dump at the end supports that.
>
> How to explain:
> Call Trace: [get_empty_filp+89/208] get_empty_filp+0x59/0xd0 ?

I like to let you know that this was all I got as dump. Was simply
trying to copy some stuff from A to B on my harddisk using MC on a XFS
partition using 2.6.11.6.

Though I also detected another really strange thing together with this
issue. On a valid XFS partition (no errors or something) I tried to
delete about 160 CVS checked out modules (GNOME) and *buff* stuff
couldn't be deleted anymore but I wasn't aware of this at that moment.
Seconds later I was trying to copy stuff from A to B as described above
and this gave me that hit. Luckely the hit caused let me continue using
the System. I then tried to delete the stuff again and noticed that it
hadn't deleted the CVS checkout in A) properly and that I copied the
undeleted stuff to B) as well. I then inserted my own created rescue CD,
mounted the partition again, and voila was able to delete the stuff
xfs_repair check on it gave no errors or something.

Maybe this helps isolating the issue.