Re: Fw: ext2 corruption - regression between 2.6.9 and 2.6.10

From: Mingming Cao
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 17:55:31 EST

I think his patch for ext2 is correct. The corruption on ext3 is not the
same issue he saw on ext2. I believe that's the race between discard
reservation and reservation in-use that we already fixed it in 2.6.12-
rc1.

For the problem related to ext2, at the time when we design reservation
for ext3, we decide we only need to discard the reservation at the last
file close, so we have ext3_discard_reservation on iput_final-
>ext3_clear_inode.

The ext2 handle discard preallocation differently at that time, it
discard the preallocation at each iput(), not in input_final(), so we
think it's unnecessary to thrash it so frequently, and the right thing
to do, as we did for ext3 reservation, discard preallocation on last
iput(). So we moved the ext2_discard_preallocation from ext2_put_inode(0
to ext2_clear_inode.

Since ext2 preallocation is doing pre-allocation on disk, so it is
possible that at the unmount time, someone is still hold the reference
of the inode, so the preallocation for a file is not discard yet, so we
still mark those blocks allocated on disk, while they are not actually
in the inode's block map, so fsck will catch/fix that error later.

This is not a issue for ext3, as ext3 reservation(pre-allocation) is
done in memory.