Re: Hangcheck problem

From: Joseph Fannin
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:01:49 EST

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:29:45PM -0800, Noah Silverman wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Noah Silverman wrote:

> > I'm been experiencing a weird problem....
> >
> > I get endlessly repeated hangcheck errors in my syslog with no
> explanation:
> >
> > Mar 30 12:41:43 db kernel: Hangcheck: hangcheck value past margin!

> Burton Windle wrote:
> > Kernel version?
> >

> 2.6.7

That's a really old kernel, and I'm sure anyone who could look
into this will ask you to upgrade to something recent and reproduce it
as the first step in tracking it down.

Is this an older box? I've seen the hangcheck warnings on a
486 I was using as a firewall/router -- ultimately I applied a patch
to set HZ to 100 and the problem went away. I *think*, once that patch
bitrotted, that I just turned off the hangcheck timer, but I can't
remember for sure.

If you turn off the hangcheck timer, does the problem go away
(i.e. no more lockups)?

--
Joseph Fannin
jfannin@xxxxxxxxx