Re: 2.6.12-rc1 won't boot if SCSI drivers are selected as modules

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 09:08:56 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:
On Apr 1, 2005 7:17 AM, K.R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an old Dell Precision 620 workstation with dual PIII 933's and
512 Mb memory. It also uses AIC-7899P U160/m SCSI controllers with one
U160 drive (boot drive) and one slower 18 Gb. I have been running many
different variants of the kernel on this system for quite some time with
much success. However, no amount of gnashing of teeth or pulling of hair
have been able to get this system to boot ANY 2.6.12-rc1 (including
2.6.12-rc1 vanilla, 2.6.12-rc1-mm3 and various RT patches) variant when
the SCSI drivers are selected as modules (which is the way that I have
always done it). Last night I built all of the necessary drivers into
the kernel and the system boots fine.

I am also seeing this but not on every boot. My work around is to add
a 'sleep 2' to the nash script after the modules are loaded. Compling
everything in also worked.

I will give this a try. Although I did compare the init from a working initrd with the init from a non-working initrd, with no differences :-/

This is discussed in the thread: "current linus bk, error mounting
root". I believe the answer is that it is not a kernel problem,
instead the init scripts have to be fixed.

I figured it probably had been discussed if anyone else was having this problem, it's just that I have been pretty scarce in the last couple of weeks. I did try searching the archives but that didn't produce any help. ;-) I will go back and take a look at this thread.

Thanks much.

--
kr