Re: [RFC] CryptoAPI & Compression

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 05:02:43 EST

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:45:58PM +0400, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:

> Here is a cite from RFC-1951 (page 4):
>
> A compressed data set consists of a series of blocks, corresponding
> to successive blocks of input data. The block sizes are arbitrary,
> except that non-compressible blocks are limited to 65,535 bytes.
>
> Thus,
>
> 1. 64K is only applied to non-compressible data, in which case zlib just
> copies it as it is, adding a 1-byte header and a 1-byte EOB marker.

I think the overhead could be higher. But even if it is 2 bytes
per block, then for 1M of incompressible input the total overhead is

2 * 1048576 / 65536 = 32

bytes.

Also I'm not certain if it will actually create 64K blocks. It might
be as low as 16K according to the zlib documentation.

> 3. If zlib compressed data (i.e., applied LZ77 & Huffman), blocks may
> have arbitrary length.

Actually there is a limit on that too but that's not relevant to
this discussion.

Cheers,