Re: 2.6.12-rc2-mm1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 02:39:18 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

+sched-remove-unnecessary-sched-domains.patch
+sched-improve-pinned-task-handling-again.patch
[snip]

CPU scheduler updates

It is no problem that you picked these up for testing. But
don't merge them yet, please.

Suresh's underlying problem with the unnecessary sched domains
is a failing of sched-balance-exec and sched-balance-fork, which
I am working on now.

Removing unnecessary domains is a nice optimisation, but just
needs to account for a few more flags before declaring that a
domain is unnecessary (not to mention this probably breaks if
isolcpus= is used). I have made some modifications to the patch
to fix these problems.

Lastly, I'd like to be a bit less intrusive with pinned task
handling improvements. I think we can do this while still being
effective in preventing livelocks.

I will keep you posted with regards to the various scheduler
patches.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.