Re: [ACPI] Re: [RFC 5/6]clean cpu state after hotremove CPU

From: Li Shaohua
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 04:04:13 EST

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 23:33, Nathan Lynch wrote:

> > > I don't understand why this is needed at all. It looks like a fair
> > > amount of code from do_exit is being duplicated here.
> > Yes, exactly. Someone who understand do_exit please help clean up the
> > code. I'd like to remove the idle thread, since the smpboot code will
> > create a new idle thread.
>
> I'd say fix the smpboot code so that it doesn't create new idle tasks
> except during boot.
I tried what you said. But I must use a ugly method to adjust
idle->thread.esp (stack pointer in IA32). otherwise, the stack will soon
overflow after several rounds of hotplug. I'll take close look at if
other fields in thread_info cause problems.
Did you reinitialize the idle's thread_info in ppc? I have no problem to
do it in IA32, but is this a good approach? Creating a new idle thread
for upcoming CPU looks more graceful to me.

Thanks,
Shaohua