Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclearcopyright notice.

From: Humberto Massa
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 09:40:21 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

We do not add comments to the kernel source code which simply state the obvious.

Jeff

Whoa, kind of harsh, isn't it? I'm just trying to help.

Anyway, the problem at hand is: people do *not* think there is anything obvious.

For instance: many, many people do not consider binary hexdumps in .c/.h files as source code; if you think so, you should state it in writing, you know, to avoid lawyer attacks.

Another example: if you think it's obvious that the binary hexdump is another work, aggregated to the GPL'd .c/.h file, then you should state (again, in writing) which are the licensing terms of said work... otherwise, no-one has a written license to redistribute it, leading to... lawyer attacks.

HTH,

Massa