Re: crash in entry.S restore_all, 2.6.12-rc2, x86, PAGEALLOC

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 14:32:04 EST

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Stas Sergeev wrote:

> Attached is a quick fix, which I'll be
> testing to death tomorrow at work.

This one can pass through vm86 mode stuff without the high-16-bit fixup,
as far as I can tell.

Also, I think your optimization to optimistically load SS is valid per se,
but we need to find out how some kernel thread gets zero stack associated
with it. They should all have the full "struct pt_reg" as far as I could
see, which means that we should never be _so_ high up the stack that
SS/ESP would be on the next page.

So I'd actually prefer to get that mystery explained..

Linus