Re: 2.6.12-rc2-mm1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 18:43:21 EST

Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 05:33:49PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

Suresh's underlying problem with the unnecessary sched domains
is a failing of sched-balance-exec and sched-balance-fork, which

That wasn't the only motivation. For example, on non-HT cpu's we shouldn't
be setting up SMT sched-domain, same with NUMA domains on non-NUMA systems.

Yep, sure. It is a good, if slight, optimisation. And I've also just
slightly extended your patch, so we don't have any domains if booting
with maxcpus=1

I am working on now.

Removing unnecessary domains is a nice optimisation, but just
needs to account for a few more flags before declaring that a

Can you elaborate when we require a domain with special flags but has
no or only one group in it.

The SD_WAKE_* flags do not use groups, so it would be legitimate to
have a domain that has one of these set, with no groups.

domain is unnecessary (not to mention this probably breaks if
isolcpus= is used). I have made some modifications to the patch

I have tested my patch with "ioslcpus=" and it works just fine.

OK, my apologies ;)

to fix these problems.

Lastly, I'd like to be a bit less intrusive with pinned task
handling improvements. I think we can do this while still being
effective in preventing livelocks.

We want to see this fixed. Please post your patch and I can let you know
the test results.

I will try to get it working and tested tonight for you.

I will keep you posted with regards to the various scheduler
patches.

Nick, Can you post the patches you sent me earlier to this list?

Yep, I'll post them.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.