Re: Coding style: mixed-case

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 04:03:30 EST

Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 04:09, Matt Mackall wrote:

While there may be reasons why mixed case is suboptimal, the real
reason is that it's hard to keep track of which style is used where.
It's annoying and error-prone to have to remember the naming format
for everything in addition to its name. As most things are in a
standard style, things are made easier by having every piece of new
code follow that style and let us slowly approach uniformity.

My primary concern was that of; why does the kernels own coding style
deviate from that advise given in it's documentation. Other than that

Probably it's been like that for a long time, and nobody has
really bothered to change it.

If you posted a patch for pf_locked() and friends (and note that it's
lowercase to match function-like usage), you'd probably find some
enthusiasts and some naysayers. Most of the naysayers would object on
the grounds of "it ain't broke", but if someone were to do it as part
of a series of more substantial clean-ups, it'd likely be accepted.

Certainly I would like to have a go at a patch, but I must say that I do not
feel particularly familiar with the code in question to make such a change.
I would have risen to the challenge had this been a driver level change,
but the mmu is something that I will not touch untill I feel comfortable.

Well the only patch that could possibly be considered would be a
straight search and replace, and absolutely no functional changes;
I think you would be up to it ;)

A few suggestions:
Don't use PF_*. That namespace is already being used by at least
process flags and protocol flags. Maybe page_locked, page_dirty,
etc. might be better

There could be a quite a bit of external code using these interfaces.
Typically we wouldn't just rename public interfaces in a stable
series "just because", but the rules are a bit different for 2.6.

Your best bet would be to firstly do a patch to create the new interface
names but keep the old ones in place for backwards compatibility (just
#defined to the new name), then a second patch to convert over all the
in-kernel users. The compatibility stuff can be removed in N years.

Lastly, it is quite likely that many people will consider this to be
more trouble than it's worth. So keep in mind it is not guaranteed to
get included.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.