[BUG] 2.6.12-rc3: unkillable java process in TASK_RUNNING on AMD64

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 04:53:18 EST

Hi,

I'm having a problem with 2.6.12-rc3 and the Java VM (from SuSE 9.2)
on AMD64. Namely, after trying to open a web page containing a Java
applet, my browser starts a java process that takes almost 100% of the CPU
(system load, according to gkrellm) and cannot be killed (even by root,
although it executes with a non-root UID). Apparently, it is in TASK_RUNNING
(according to ps).

The problem is 100% reproducible (it is enough to visit
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/index.html to trigger it)
and it does not depend on the web browser used.

The Java JRE version is:

java version "1.4.2_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_06-b03)

(I guess it's 32-bit, but I'm not quite sure) and I've installed it from the
SuSE 9.2 RPM.

It really is a show stopper to me, so please advise.

Greets,
Rafael

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.