any way to find out kernel memory usage?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 11:40:12 EST

We recently had an issue with a kernel module leaking memory on unload, and a userspace app that unloaded it way too many times.

This ended up using up a bunch of memory, which triggered the oom-killer to run, which went wild killing everything in sight since userspace wasn't actually the culprt.

One idea we had to prevent this in the future is to configure the OOM killer to reset the system if the kernel uses more than a certain amount of memory. (Reset is better than hang for our purposes.) Is there any way to find out how much memory the kernel is using? I don't see anything in /proc, but maybe something internal that isn't currently exported?

Chris