Re: any way to find out kernel memory usage?

From: Robert Love
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 12:56:35 EST

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 11:44 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

> Okay, so can I get the total amount of memory used by the kernel based
> on meminfo output? (Slab + VmallocUsed) maybe?

I don't think that will include page tables, unless the architecture
allocates page tables from slab (some might, especially recently).

And it won't have memory that didn't come from slab, e.g.
get_free_pages() or anything else right off the buddy allocator.

There is no easy way to do this. To do it right, we'd need fine-grained
accounting.

Robert Love