Re: returning non-ram via ->nopage, was Re: [patch] mspec driver for 2.6.12-rc2-mm3

From: Jes Sorensen
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 13:08:07 EST

>>>>> "Christoph" == Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Christoph> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:53:15AM -0400, Jeff Garzik
Christoph> wrote:
>> I don't see anything wrong with a ->nopage approach.
>>
>> At Linus's suggestion, I used ->nopage in the implementation of
>> sound/oss/via82cxxx_audio.c.

Christoph> The difference is that you return kernel memory (actually
Christoph> pci_alloc_consistant memory that has it's own set of
Christoph> problems), while this is memory not in mem_map, so he
Christoph> allocates some regularly kernel memory too to have a struct
Christoph> page and just leaks it

Are you suggesting then that we change do_no_page to handle this as a
special return value then?

Jes