Re: ext3 issue..

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 15:57:16 EST

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:09:08PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> What messages were displayed by e2fsck? What version of the kernel
> are you running?
>
> No, I haven't heard of any such problems with ext2/3 filesystems.
> This is the first time that someone was reported a specific problem
> with the # of blocks used accounting. There is the standard "file
> held open so the number of blocks used is greater than blocks reported
> by du", but that won't cause df to display negative numbers.

I think I have seen this once or twice in the past. A reboot always
made it go away and it didn't seem to come back. fsck never showed
anything so I assumed it was just the kernel having lost its mind about
the state of the FS.

I think I was using 2.4.18 or so at the time I last saw it. It is quite
a while ago but it was ext3 as well as far as I recall.

I originally thought my df and company was messed up (since I think I
have seen a case on sparc where the libc/df were out of sync causing
weird output).

I never thought much about it since it didn't seem to be reproduceable
since it never repeated itself.

Len Sorensen