Re: Multiple functionality breakages in 2.6.12rc3 IDE layer

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 19:25:01 EST

On 4/29/05, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Gwe, 2005-04-29 at 00:00, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > why. You've disabled open() of a device with no bound driver.
> >
> > Guess what open() for ide-default was doing in 2.6?
> >
> > return -ENXIO;
> >
> > and no it wasn't my change - it was the effect of fixing
> > locking of the higher layers.
>
> Yes so it needed fixing and without all the kref, kmalloc, unique object
> structure per ide driver code spew too.

IDE is similar to SCSI now in this respect.
Are you claiming that SCSI needs fixing too?

> > > The fact that the IDE layer appears to be getting worse not better,
> > > which given the starting point is a remarkable achievement.
> >
> > Personal insults are easy, get technical facts.
>
> I consider that a technical fact. The last IDE code I maintained fully
> in 2.4 had mostly working locking, drive hotplug, open for unbound
> drivers, didnt oops on spurious irqs and wasn't losing all sorts of
> useful boot options. I had hoped that I wouldnt have to totally fork the
> 2.6 IDE code in order to get back to where 2.4-ac was and get the
> locking working so you can't oops it via /proc

Somehow you seem to forget that I took maintaince over
2.5.5x (or 2.5.6x) and there was a lot new stuff added when
you were away (i.e. driver-model and IDE code needs to conform
with it to get sane power management and sysfs support)
and that a lot of other things have changed (influencing IDE).

Feel free to fork so you'll be wasting yours time only and not mine.