Re: SATA speed. Should be 150 or 133?

From: Krzysztof Oledzki
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 04:38:42 EST

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Mark Lord wrote:

True SATA drives ignore the "transfer speed",
as it really is meaningless and does not apply.
So, am I the the only person confused by this message? ;)
There is "SATA max UDMA/133" not "PATA max UDMA/133".

But most (all?) first-gen SATA drives are really
PATA drives with a SATA bridge built-in.
Some of those drives require that Linux set the
DMA transfer speed for them to work reliably.
Oh, so how to check true (current) speed?

Last I looked, the highest valid PATA transfer
speed was still "UDMA/133". 150 just plain
doesn't exist for PATA (and the whole concept
doesn't exist for SATA, so ..)
OK :)

Best regards,

Krzysztof Olędzki