Re: [RFC] SPI core -- revisited

From: Jamey Hicks
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 08:03:28 EST

Russell King wrote:

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:50:26AM -0400, Jamey Hicks wrote:

dmitry pervushin wrote:

we finally decided to rework the SPI core and now it its ready for your comments.. Here we have several boards equipped with SPI bus, and use this spi core with these boards; Drivers for them are available by request (...and if community approve this patch)

I'm glad to see that work is progressing on SPI core. I've worked on drivers on both ARM linux and Blackfin uclinux that use SPI and would prefer that they not be platform specific.

I worry about SPI at the moment because I can't see how it's being used
from just this code.

The worry I have is that it appears to contain an algorithm layer. Would
this be better as a library for drivers to use, or something like that?

That's a good point. I think the only algorithm that really gets shared is the bitbanging one, which could be a library, and otherwise it is controller specific and might as well be in the adapter.

Jamey