Re: Mercurial vs Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 08:50:14 EST

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 03:06:04PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:41:01AM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Cool. Except where the concepts are just different, Cogito mostly
> > appears at least equally simple to use as Mercurial. Yes, some features
> > are missing yet. I hope to fix that soon. :-)
>
> The user interface and network protocol isn't the big deal, the big deal
> is the more efficient on-disk storage format IMHO.

E2fsprogs with the full revision history imported into git is 100
megs, and that's with deltas. E2fsprogs imported into Mercurial is 17
megs (and actually, the imported repository was just a tad bit smaller
than e2fsprogs' BK repository).

Which do you think is going to be faster to operate from a cold start
using 4200 rpm laptop drives? :-)

- Ted