Re: [-mm patch] i386: enable REGPARM by default

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 15:38:23 EST

Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch:
> - removes the dependency of REGPARM on EXPERIMENTAL
> - let REGPARM default to y

hm, a compromise.

One other concern I have with this is that I expect -mregparm will make
kgdb (and now crashdump) less useful. When incoming args are on the stack
you have a good chance of being able to see what their value is by walking
the stack slots.

When the incoming args are in registers I'd expect that it would be a lot
harder (or impossible) to work out their value.

Have the kdump guys thought about (or encountered) this?