Re: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 19:59:19 EST

One of the things that most annoys me about udev is that I still need
a minimal static dev in order for the system to boot. Could something
like this be used as follows?

1) Boot kernel with an arg "automount_ndevfs", which automounts on /dev

2) Init scripts use console, ttyX, hda, sda, etc from ndevfs

3) Init script for udev does:
# mount -t tmpfs udev /.dev
# udevstart /.dev
# mount --move /.dev /dev
# mount -t ndevfs ndevfs /dev/.kerndev

4) Normal userspace apps use /dev

5) When udev is stopped, it can just umount /dev/.kerndev, then umount
/dev, then the basic stuff should still work.

Ideally ndevfs should support basic subdirectories and symlinks, so that
a simple /dev/pts could be mounted over top of it without any hassle.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life."
-- Charles Shultz