Re: [RFC] bind and unbind drivers from userspace through sysfs

From: Bill Nottingham
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 22:07:35 EST

Greg KH (greg@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> Even so, with these two patches, people should be able to do things that
> they have been wanting to do for a while (like take over the what driver
> to what device logic in userspace, as I know some distro installers
> really want to do.)

Playing devils advocate, with this, the process flow is:

- kernel sees a new device
- kernel sends hotplug event for bus with slot, address, vendor id, etc.
- userspace loads a module based on that info
<some sort of synchronization here waiting for driver to initialize>
- userspace echos to sysfs to bind device
- kernel sends hotplug device event
- userspace creates device node, then continues with device

This looks:
a) inefficient
b) an awful lot like the PCMCIA model. Which... eww.

Bill