Re: PATCH: IDE - sensible probing for PCI systems

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 07:39:46 EST

On Gwe, 2005-06-24 at 12:52, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Well, keyboard and mouse are USB these days, serial and parallel are PCI,
> floppies are not used anymore and the ISA DMA controller would only be
> needed for them. Video? I've thought ISA implementations are gone --
> what is all that AGP/PCI-E noise about then? And no more ISA slots
> either.

PC systems have serial at 0x3f8/0x2f8 (lpc bus), almost always PS/2 port
on the mainboard. Timers, interrupt controllers.

> logic, though, which hasn't been moved elsewhere, indeed. I think it
> really belongs to the PCI configuration space somewhere -- probably I/O
> APICs or host bridges.

As I understand it both Windows XP and Linux x86 still require some of
these ports. There is also a range of ports that are needed _before_ the
PCI bus can be used in order to bootstrap the system, configure ram
timings etc and in some cases adjust the caches.

> > also have ranges of non-PCI decoded space that appears in no PCI bar.
>
> That is what surprises me and what my whole consideration is about.
> It's just I don't see a need for such a setup anymore and for a system
> with no ISA or EISA bridge I'd expect all that legacy to be gone leaving
> us with no need to handle implicit resources. But has any manufacturer
> produced such an i386 system yet?

Whats the _economic_ incentive to do so ? There basically isnt one.