Re: IDE probing IDE_MAX_HWIFS

From: Nick Warne
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 08:49:23 EST

> Now my question :-) Is there a specific reason why this isn't included in
> other architectures? I am asking as I guess one hell of a lot of people
> running on i386 have only two IDE interfaces anyway, and it could do with
> defining it as 2...

I have a patch here, works very well. But I need to see if I am a bit 'Mickey
Mouse' and need to ask all you proper coders if this would be an acceptable
patch.

In drivers/ide/Kconfig

if IDE

config IDE_HWIFS_NUM
bool "Specify the number of IDE Interfaces"
depends on (ALPHA || SUPERH || X86)
default n
help

ALPHA and SUPERH say 'y' here.

X86 say 'y' to this if you wish to specify the number of IDE
interfaces on your system. If unsure, say 'n' to use
the kernel default options (6 or 10).

config IDE_MAX_HWIFS
int "Max IDE interfaces"
depends on IDE_HWIFS_NUM
default 4
help
This is the maximum number of IDE hardware interfaces that will
be supported by the driver. Make sure it is at least as high as
the number of IDE interfaces in your system.

On X86 architecture default is (10 or 6) IDE interfaces if this
is not used (IDE_HWIFS_NUM = n)

and in include/asm-i386/ide.h

#ifndef MAX_HWIFS
#ifndef CONFIG_IDE_HWIFS_NUM
# ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
#define MAX_HWIFS 10
# else
#define MAX_HWIFS 6
# endif
#else
#define MAX_HWIFS CONFIG_IDE_MAX_HWIFS
#endif
#endif

I have just built and it works great - boot time seems to increase a lot (but
I haven't measured as such). It also eliminates me needing all the
idex=noprobe also.

Nick
--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,