2.6.12 initrd module loading seems parallel on bootup

From: Darryl L. Miles
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 17:12:48 EST

I'm witnessing a problem with mounting root on a system that loads modules from initrd in order to be able to mount root, this problem does not exist in 2.6.11.12 but does in 2.6.12 and 2.6.12.1. Its as-if the modprobe/insmod from the initrd mini-root is loading the modules in parallel rather than in series. The machine is SMP too.

The printk output over the console indicates the module loading is happening in parallel, as I can clearly see different driver bootup messages out of their expected order.

During bootup synchronous behavior is needed so that the drivers can be loaded in the order to allow auto-detection to occur at each stage in order to resolve root, in my case:

For an EXT3 fs over /dev/md0 over sym53x8xx SCSI bus.

Maybe this problem is a userspace problem, like an extra option needed to insmod to make is wait ? Please advise.

--
Darryl L. Miles