Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Artem B. Bityuckiy
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 12:08:53 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
I'm a bit confused about what you're saying here. What does the 'vector'
in all these expressions mean?

In OO terminology our *_operation structures are interfaces. Each particular
instance of such a struct that is filled with function pointers is a class.
Each instance of an inode/file/dentry/superblock/... that uses these operation
vectors is an object.

What I propose (or rather demand ;-)) is that you don't duplicate this
infrastructure, and add another dispath layer below these objects but instead
re-use it for what it is done and only handle things specific to reiser4
in your own code.

Just out of curiosity, could you please specify few exact examples with specific file/function names which duplicate the existing infrastructure. What do they duplicate and why? How should these functions be implemented on VFS? Ho should the the other FSes implement/ignore them? Why are you shure they will fit VFS well? etc.

Thanks.

--
Best regards, Artem B. Bityuckiy
Oktet Labs (St. Petersburg), Software Engineer.