Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 12:26:41 EST

On Gwe, 2005-06-24 at 20:21, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Alan, this is FUD. Our V3 fsck was written after everything else was,
> for lack of staffing reasons (why write an fsck before you have an FS
> worth using). As a result, there was a long period where the fsck code
> was unstable. It is reliable now.
>
> People often think that our tree makes fsck less robust. Actually fsck
> can throw the entire internal tree away and rebuild from leaf nodes, and
> frankly that makes things pretty robust.

I did a series of tests well after resier3 had fsck that consisted of
modelling the behaviour of systems under error state. I modelled random
bit errors, bit errors at a fixed offset (class ram failure), sector 4
byte slip (known IDE fail case) and sectors going away.

Reiserfs didn't handle it anything like as gracefully as ext2. Its a
pretty easy experiment to write the code for and the results are
interesting.