Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 12:37:22 EST

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:21:52PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> I seem to remember the comment was more about hardcoded ID tables.
>
> And this was the generic ID code database, which is now maintained out
> of the kernel:
>
> /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
> A list of all known PCI ID's (vendors, devices, classes and sub-classes).
>
> That is what I was referring to, that used to be in the kernel.

And you once again showed that you don't understand what you're talking
about. Said database is a pci id to name mapping, which is completely
irrelevant for any driver. For things like your example there's very
little thing you can do but hardcoding a set of pci ids in one way or
another.

> What this has to do with is whether you believe that it's better to keep
> code out until it's perfectly clean, or to let in code that has some

I doesn't need to be perfect, we just need it in a reasonable state and
have a buying that it's going to continue to evolve in the rigūt direction.

And we're are very far from both of them in this ccase.