Re: ACPI-based PCI resources: PCMCIA bugfix, but resources missing in trees

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 14:38:05 EST

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:17:10PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Dominik Brodowski <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 04:03:29AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > - Lots of merges. I'm holding off on the 80-odd pcmcia patches until we get
> > > the recent PCI breakage sorted out.
> >
> > pci-yenta-cardbus-fix.patch and the following patch should solve the
> > initialization time trouble. However, the ACPI-based PCI resource handling
> > is badly broken, IMHO:
> >
> > - many resources of devices don't show up in the resource trees (
> > /proc/iomem and /proc/ioports) any longer. This means that PCMCIA, but
> > also possibly other subsystems (ISA, PnP, ...) do not know which resources
> > it cannot use.
>
> Is this a recent regression? Is it only in -mm?
>
> IOW: can you identify the bad patch? Or the bad patcher ;)

It's greg's pci-somethingortheotheraboutacpi-collection-02 patch (sorry
don't remember it exactly).

It's basically replacing the PCI bus root resources with new resources.
These aren't then attached to the resource tree. However, PCI will
attach the child resources to the (unattached) bus resources.

Hence, all PCI resources remain invisible.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core