Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 23:32:17 EST

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:37:48 CDT, David Masover said:

> > Go read http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s7-7 and ponder until enlightenment arrives.
>
> So what? I don't intend to convince anyone based on how much
> slower/faster their kernel compiles. It's meant to illustrate the
> principle of the thing.

No, you seemed convinced that you'd have a big win based on the fact that
big chunks don't get unpacked - when in fact it's not as much of a win as
you might think.

And at least in the real world, performance *does* matter - if doing it the
traditional way is 3 times faster, nobody's going to be interested.

> Besides, your point was that you could not run make inside of a kernel
> tarball/zipfile. Nobody ever suggested that you would actually want to.

"Here's a new facility. Don't bother trying to actually use it".

Is that the message you're trying to send?