Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-00

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 03:19:08 EST

* William Weston <weston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I still haven't been able to get any NMI watchdog traces with the
> lockups induced by VLC and burnP6. Early printk is enabled on the
> serial console. I have noticed, however, that scheduling performance
> slowly degrades during the ~1 minute before locking up. Once I was
> able to get a delayed SysRq response (~30s) from the serial console
> after the X console became unresponsive. Is this possibly a scheduler
> starvation issue that affects everything, including the NMI watchdog?
> Any more suggestions for catching a trace?

hm. Nothing should starve the NMI watchdog. Only a nasty, complete
kernel crash or a hardware failure can lock up the box in a way that not
even the NMI watchdog can get some message out to the console. Just in
case, could you try the latest patch (-50-24 or later), there were a
couple of bugs fixed.

Ingo