Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 04:47:55 EST

Markus Törnqvist wrote:

> I can't find the original post I'm thinking about but
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/16/68 says essentially the same thing.

The scheduler is being improved for better behaviour on complex
topologies like multi core + NUMA and multi level NUMA systems.
If Con's work had gone in first, then conversely these improvements
would have had to wait.

There's also my all-time favorite, http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/3/14/4

What's wrong with that? The slowdown is due to the workload
becoming disk bound. The reasons are still not entirely clear,
but I don't think it is a recent (ie. 2.6) regression (or even
a regression at all IIRC).

The lack of QA seems appalling here, and I'm sure Reiser has had
to do more of that for DARPA than most linux kernel hackers around.

And what QA would you have preferred?

I think if you are resorting to bringing up all time favourite
blunders when trying to justify Reiser4 being included, then
that is a sign right there that something is fundamentally wrong
(if not with the code, then with your line of thought0

And note my email has nothing to do with any *real* argument for
or against R4.

Thanks,
Nick