Re: [RFC] Fix SMP brokenness for PF_FREEZE and make freezing usable for other purposes

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 10:22:59 EST

Hi!

> >CL> frozen(process) Check for frozen process
> >CL> freezing(process) Check if a process is being frozen
> >CL> freeze(process) Tell a process to freeze (go to
> >refrigerator)
> >CL> thaw_process(process) Restart process
> >
> >CL> I only know that this boots correctly since I have no system that can
> >do
> >CL> suspend. But Ray needs an effective means of process suspension for
> >CL> his process migration patches.
>
> The process migration patches that Christoph mentions are avaialable at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=111945947315561&w=2
>
> and subsequent notes to the -mm or lhms-devel lists. The problem there is
> that this code depends on user space code to suspend and then resume the
> processes to be migrated before/after the migration. Christoph suggested
> using PF_FREEZE, but I pointed out that was broken on SMP so hence the
> current patch.
>
> The idea would be to use PF_FREEZE to cause the process suspension.
> A minor flaw in this approach is what happens if a process migration
> is in progress when the machine is suspended/resumed. (Probably not
> a common occurrence on Altix... :-), but anyway...). If the processes
> are PF_FROZEN by the migration code, then unfrozen by the resume code,
> and then the migration code continues, then we have unstopped processes
> being migratated again. Not a good thing. On the other hand, the

Should be very easy to solve with one semaphore. Simply make swsusp
wait until all migrations are done.

> Is the above scenario even possible? manual page migration runs as a system
> call. Do system calls all complete before suspend starts? If that is
> the case, then the above is not something to worry about.

Yes, are normal system calls complete before suspend starts -- but
that's what refrigerator cares about.

> Finally, how comfortable are people about using the PF_FREEZE stuff
> to start and resume processes for purposes unrelated to suspend/resume?

No problem with that...

BTW smp notebooks will come, sooner or later, and 2-core 2-way-HT
notebook is already NUMA system.
Pavel
--
Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.