Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Weinehall
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 11:48:10 EST

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:00:49AM -0500, David Masover wrote:

> Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:27:25 CDT, David Masover said:
>
> [...]
>
> >>Speaking of backup, that's another nice place for a plugin. Imagine a
> >>dump that didn't have to be of the entire FS, but rather an arbitrary
> >>tree... That might be a nice new archive format. I know Apple already
> >>uses something like this for their dmg packages.
> >

> > Hmm.. you mean like 'tar' or 'cpio' or 'pax' or 'rsync'? :)
>
> No, a dmg is an OS X program installer. It appears to be a disk image
> of sorts. So this is the backup idea in reverse.

Yeah, disk images are really a new invention... It's not like creating
an arbitrarily large solid file and then doing mkfs on it would
accomplish the same thing =)

> They even "optimize" (repack? defrag?) the hard drive after each update.

That's what they call the updating of the prelinking information,
AFAIK.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //