Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Prakash Punnoor
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 23:07:28 EST

Jim Crilly schrieb:
> On 06/28/05 01:06:54AM +0200, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
>
>>So I gave ext3 a try. Very robust, but at the same time slooow. I couldn't
>>bear it after some months. So I gave xfs another try. Yes, now it felt much
>>better. Still not that fast as reiserfs, IIRC, but better than the first time
>>I tried. I am still having xfs on / and it works pretty well, and is rather
>>robust against hard locks with about the same amount of data losing as
>>reiserfs. But what annoys me very much, is that I have to run xfs_repair by
>>hand and by booting from another partition. Even after a hard lock, the
>>partition mounts w/o problems and everything seems OK, but it only seems like
>>that. In fact after some hours/days of use, you'll notice oddities, like files
>>or directories which cannot be removed and things like that. After running
>>xfs_repair everything is back in order.
>

> I don't know what was going on with your systems, but I've been using XFS
> since the original 1.0 Linux release from SGI and I'd guess that I've had to run
> xfs_repair less than 10 times and most of them were on Alpha and Sparc64
> before issues with those arches got ironed out.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that I use xfs on software RAID-0 and both HDs
have 8MB cache write-back enabled? So, all in all 16MB needs to be commited
on/before lock-up, maybe too much for xfs? (This situation was no prob for
ext3, though. Thinking again, I never used reiser V3 or V4 on the RAID-0, so
my comparison might not have been fair.)

Prakash