Re: [DVB patch 17/51] flexcop: add big endian register definitions

From: Patrick Boettcher
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 04:02:12 EST

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
+ struct {
+ u32 dma_address0 :30;
+ u32 dma_0No_update : 1;
+ u32 dma_0start : 1;
+ } dma_0x0;
+
+ struct {
+ u32 dma_0start : 1;
+ u32 dma_0No_update : 1;
+ u32 dma_address0 :30;
+ } dma_0x0;

Oh dear. This is a good demonstration of the downside of trying to use
compiler bitfields to represent hardware registers. I have vague memories
of writing BFINS and BFEXT in 3c59x to stomp this problem.

I don't think there's any guarantee that the code you have there will work
on all architectures/compiler versions btw.

Also... The code appears to be assuming that BE architectures will
bit-reverse their bitfields. Is that right? I'd expect them to only
byte-reverse them?

Probably the code should use __BIG_ENDIAN_BITFIELD /
__LITTLE_ENDIAN_BITFIELD instead of __BIG_ENDIAN / __LITTLE_ENDIAN?
Anyway, the comment from the CVS commit suggests that it was tested.

According to the user, it is tested and it is running flawlessly for
2 weeks now.

I completely agree that this code is ugly as hell. It was the obvious, simple fix to make the driver work on PowerPC (and a few users happy), though. Rewriting the driver not to use bitfields seems to be quite a bit of work. Blame me for not paying enough attention when the initial flexcop driver was submitted ;-(

It's my fault. The driver (skystar2) which has been replaced by the flexcop-driver was so complicated to read, because of an IMHO abuse of bitmask and bit-shifting. I absolutely wanted to bring more readability to that driver without having the endian-issue in mind (rewrite was possible after the vendor released the data sheets). Sorry for that.

regards,
Patrick.

--
Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx