Re: 2.6.12 breaks 8139cp

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 07:34:53 EST

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Hmm... it seems that TPM has something to do with the bug. Not sure why
> though, can't see anything TPM related in dmesg. If I disable the TPM
> parts in kconfig then the network works just fine.
>
> I'm going to do a test of 2.6.12-rc1 through rc6 today to see where the
> problem appears.

Confirmed this behaviour. The problem appears in rc1 (where the TPM is
added). Unloading the module doesn't help, once it has been present the
system needs a reboot for the network card to function properly.

I don't really see how the TPM can screw things up for the network card
but I'm guessing it breaks something in the chipset (the TPM module gets
loaded for the LPC bridge).

(added TPM maintainer and list as cc)

Rgds
Pierre